Saturday, November 12, 2011

Healthy Eggnog: Dairy and Sugar Free!

I love everything eggnog. I love eggnog tea, eggnog lattes, eggnog ice cream, but my favorite will always be a tall glass filled with the creamy holiday drink. I'm lactose intolerant, and while there are some decent tasting alternatives to dairy eggnog in grocery stores, I find that none of them have that traditional thick creaminess of regular eggnog. In my opinion, thick and creamy are essential! So even though it was sure to result in a stomach ache, I always had a glass...and another glass, and probably a third glass of the delicious Darigold brand.

As yummy as Darigold eggnog is, I'm pretty determined to create low carb versions of all my favorites, and don't want to indulge in the sugary stuff. But this is my first low carb holiday season, and I knew I wouldn't be able to resist the fat cartons of eggnog lining the shelves of every grocery store for long, so I rushed to the internet and started googling eggnog recipes. Once you've looked at a few different recipes, it's pretty easy to adapt your own based on personal preferences and needs.

Eggnog is supposed to be thick, so I was a little nervous about using coconut milk. But rest assured--this nog is plenty thick! If you want, go ahead and sub the coconut milks with heavy whipping cream and regular milk. I used coconut because, not only does my body not like cow's milk, I don't like the 12 carbs per a cup compared to the 2 carbs in a cup of So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk. This milk is also a great source of healthy fats and calcium, and did I mention there is only 45 calories per a cup of So Delicious? Low carb, low calorie, delicious and healthy--you can't get much better than that!
If you're worried this will taste like coconut, don't be! There is only the slightest hint of coconut, but I don't think that's a bad thing! I'm proud with how it turned out, and I'm pretty picky when it comes to eggnog. I wasn't missing Darigold at all! My boyfriend is an eggnog-lover just like me, and he said it tastes like the real thing. My dad even liked it--and he hates anything 'alternative' :)

Just a note: The rum extract really makes this recipe. I tried the eggnog before adding it, and it was good, but definitely missing something. The moment I opened the bottle of extract, I could smell the missing ingredient. It won't taste like traditional eggnog without it!

Recipe:

2 cups + 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchens and needed three cans)
4 cups+1/4 cup coconut milk (I used unsweetened So Delicious)
5 eggs
1 cup+1/2 cup erythritol, powdered (If subbing sugar or splenda, reduce to 1 cup and omit stevia)
1/2 teaspoon stevia powder
4 teaspoons coconut flour (omit if using heavy whipping cream) 
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon rum extract
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:

Refrigerate coconut milks, eggs, and a mixing bowl overnight or for at least 8 hours

Powder erythritol in a blender or coffee grinder for one minute (make sure your grinder is COMPLETELY dry. I like to blow dry mine beforehand). Leave the lid on and let the powder settle while you work.

There is a little bit of coconut water in the full fat cans, so either drain the water or scoop out the cream--you want this to be as thick as possible! Add the coconut cream, half the erythritol, and 1 teaspoon of coconut flour to the chilled bowl. Whip with an electrical mixer until thick and fluffy, adding teaspoons of coconut flour slowly, this will take about 10 minutes (It won't be as fluffy as real whipping cream) set aside in fridge as you continue to work.

Separate the eggs, let the whites run into a medium sized bowl and put the yokes in a very large mixing bowl.

Beat egg whites until stiff, about five minutes, set aside. 

Add the rest of the erythritol, stevia, vanilla, rum extract, and nutmeg to the yolks. Beat until fluffy, about one minute. Pour in the coconut milk and whisk until combined. Gently fold in the egg whites and coconut cream, don't over mix!

Serve right away or refrigerate for one hour to let it thicken even more! Make sure to drink it within 2 to 3 days. Hope you enjoy!!









No comments:

Post a Comment